Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Listen and Notify

Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Alexander Reichstadt <lxr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

From the documentation I was able to build a trigger firing upon deletion of a record a function that delivers tablename_operation as a notification one needs to subscribe to. So in terminal I can say LISTEN persons_delete and instantly will receive

       Asynchronous notification "persons_delete" received from server process with PID 54790.

if there was a delete. But what I don't fully understand is how to do this with PQnotifies. Following the docu I get no notifications even though I subscribe to them after successfully connecting to the server the same way I do using terminal.

Googling didn't give me examples I was able to use. Please, can someone help?

I'm suspecting operator error because using PQnotifies is exactly what
psql does.  Maybe you could post a small test program?  Are you using
a mixed case notification name?

Works here in a Pascal program built using Lazarus. You /must/ however, ensure that the session requesting the notification is kept active and is the one that's regularly checked, it's easy to lose track of this in a development framework which isolates you from the low-level handles etc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk