Search Postgresql Archives

Re: recommended schema diff tools?

Hi,

about database schema migrations:

I am very happy with south http://south.aeracode.org/

It is written for django (python web framework), but could be used for database
migrations outside django, too.

  Thomas Güttler

Am 12.04.2012 17:10, schrieb Chris Angelico:
On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Welty, Richard<rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
can anyone recommend an open source tool for diffing schemas?

(it should go without saying that i'm looking for ddl to update production
and QA DBs from development DBs, but i'll say it, just in case.)

We toyed with this exact issue at work. In the end, we went the other
direction, and created two files, both managed in source control: a
.sql file with everything necessary to initialize the database from
scratch, and a patch script. Every change gets done (by hand) to the
primary .sql file, and the SQL statements needed to effect the
transition (eg ALTER TABLE to add a column) get added to the patch
script. ...

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/