Re: How to specify capitalization for column names in pg_fetch_object?

On 11/19/12 10:45 AM, David McMath wrote:
Dear List,

I'm converting a PHP project from using Oracle to using Postgres. Apparently, pg_fetch_object() wants to create an object with field names lowercase by default. In the Oracle analogue, they're uppercase. So all my code's "$obj->FIELD" references need to change to "$obj->field".

Is there any way to tell PHP or Postgres to change the default capitalization?

In Perl, I'd use DBI and set FetchHashKeyName to "NAME_uc". In PHP, we're using "DB" (not MDB2) for the database connections, and I don't see a similar-looking lever to pull on

Any advice is appreciated,

dave

In case some future wanderer comes across the same problem, I'll post my solution. "Workaround" or "hack" might be a better term, but since my problem is now gone I'll stick with "solution".

We have a central method for getting a database handle. So I was able to follow the example at

http://pear.php.net/manual/tr/package.database.db.db-common.setfetchmode.php#package.database.db.db-common.setfetchmode.example.object5

(aka "The Manual") to install a custom class in which DB results are stored. My class has a "__get" method that checks for properties in a case-insensitive way. I could have gone a different route and lowercase (or uppercase) all fields during "__construct" but that's not what I did.

The class is "PG_data_object" below, and I added

    $db->setFetchMode( DB_FETCHMODE_OBJECT, 'PG_data_object' ) ;

toward the end of the function for fetching new handles. This worked. The downside is that it changed the default behavior of "fetchInto" from DB_FETCHMODE_ORDERED to DB_FETCHMODE_OBJECT. For me, that was a good tradeoff; grep quickly showed me that in almost all calls to fetchInto or fetchRow, we specified a fetchmode explicitly. In those few where we didn't it wasn't a hard trick to add in the explicit request for ORDERED to get the old behavior back. And now OBJECT is documented as our default.

Among my unsuccessful attempts, I also learned about the "DB_PORTABILITY_LOWERCASE" option for DB::Connect. It happens to do the opposite of what I want, and there's no DB_PORTABILITY_UPPERCASE available. Also, the way it's implemented seems to suggest it only works for DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC (but I could well be reading that wrong, and I didn't push too hard to figure it out). We don't use ASSOC in our code, but for good measure I added

    DB_PORTABILITY_ALL ^ DB_PORTABILITY_LOWERCASE

as the portability option to Connect. It's not really that helpful, because it only kicks in when Postgres hands me uppercase (which it's not seeming to do), but it seems worth mentioning.

I did look at PDO as the "right" way to get everything I want. If someone had given that advice a few years back, I'd have been in much better shape. But the syntax is just too alien to our current codebase, so here I am.

dave

--

class PG_data_object {
  private $row_data ;
  function __construct($data) {
    $this->row_data = $data ;
  }
  function __get($variable) {
    if( isset( $this->row_data[strtolower($variable)] ) ) {
      return $this->row_data[strtolower($variable)] ;
    }
    else if( isset( $this->row_data[strtoupper($variable)] ) ) {
      return $this->row_data[strtoupper($variable)] ;
    }
    else if( isset( $this->row_data[$variable] ) ) {
      return $this->row_data[$variable] ;
    }
    else {
trigger_error( sprintf( 'Undefined property PG_data_object::$%s', $variable ) ) ;
    }
  }
}