Re: PgSQL and integration between 2 PHP programs and a Java program

Hi Brew,

Well this is a new project and we will import our users to this system after the project is done.
yes, the same usernames in different applications are the same user and they should be able to login with their single username and password in each application. From those applications I'm going to use, half has built-in PgSQL capabilities and half have MySQL as their databases.
I also have CAS ( Centeral Authentication Service ) in mind for SSO ( Single Sign On ). They also have a phpCAS class that authenticates the users against the CAS server and this way the user won't need to login again in each application as phpCAS will check their ticket to see if they're logged in or not.
Also I can do the project in another way, not using PgSQL and using their native databases. This way I will have duplication of data in each application as each application will store its username & password in its own database. But a modification should be done in all the applications to prevent the users from signing up and editing their profile inside the application, and then write a central signup & profile editing section where users can update their passwords for example, and this central profile editing will update the password stored in all databased ( suppose 10 databases ! ).
But I think this way is really silly :( As it will cause the server to handle too many queries!
This was the description of my project. If anyone have a better solution please let me know. I also have researched about using LDAP as the main DB server but seems it can only be used as the CAS and not the main DB for applications as it's main use is as a directory and can not be used in a high volume of changing data environment. Also very much modification should be done in each application to be able to talk to LDAP server!!
Also I have another question : do I need to edit MySQL queries very much in my PHP applications to interact with a PgSQL or not? Because most of the queries are the same and maybe very few should be changed ( as far as I know! ).

--

Warm Regards,
Amir