Inserts or Updates

Hi all,

We are currently “stuck” with a performance bottleneck in our server using PG and we are thinking of two potential solutions which I would be happy to hear your opinion about.

Our system has a couple of tables that hold client generated information.  The clients communicate every minute with the server and thus we perform an update on these two tables every minute.  We are talking about ~50K clients (and therefore records).

These constant updates have made the table sizes to grow drastically and index bloating.  So the two solutions that we are talking about are:

  1. Configure autovacuum to work more intensively in both time and cost parameters.

Pros:

Not a major architectural change.

Cons:

Autovacuum does not handle index bloating and thus we will need to periodically reindex the tables.

Perhaps we will also need to run vacuum full periodically if the autovacuum cleaning is not at the required pace and therefore defragmentation of the tables is needed?

  1. Creating a new table every minute and inserting the data into this new temporary table (only inserts).  This process will happen every minute.  Note that in this process we will also need to copy missing data (clients that didn’t communicate) from older table.

Pros:

Tables are always compact.

We will not reach a limit of autovacuum.

Cons:

Major architectural change.

So to sum it up, we would be happy to refrain from performing a major change to the system (solution #2), but we are not certain that the correct way to work in our situation, constant updates of records, is to configure an aggressive autovacuum or perhaps the “known methodology” is to work with temporary tables that are always inserted into?

Thank you,

Ofer