Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

Dave Cramer wrote:

On 16-Mar-08, at 2:19 AM, Justin wrote:

I decided to reformat the raid 10 into ext2 to see if there was any real big difference in performance as some people have noted here is the test results

please note the WAL files are still on the raid 0 set which is still in ext3 file system format. these test where run with the fsync as before. I made sure every thing was the same as with the first test.

This is opposite to the way I run things. I use ext2 on the WAL and ext3 on the data. I'd also suggest RAID 10 on the WAL it is mostly write.

Just out of curiosity: Last time I did research, the word seemed to be that xfs was better than ext2 or ext3.  Is that not true?  Why use ext2/3 at all if xfs is faster for Postgres?

Criag