From: pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Johnston
Sent: 03 October 2013 19:44
To: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  postgres connections in IDLE state..

Rajagopalan, Jayashree wrote
> I'm seeing intermittently - the DB connections getting stale - and not
> getting returned to the Hibernate session pool. Some of the
> connections are as old as 9 days.

The whole point of a connection pool is to keep open connections to the database.  These connections, when not in use, are "IDLE".  I would expect to see a single connection for every permanent pool connection.

I don't see any problem with what you show and describe other than I'd expect more than 2 idle connections and I'd expect the supposed "problem" to be persistent.

In your example the backend has been alive and in the pool since 9/11 and the most recent time it was used was 10/2.  In between those two dates there were many other times the connection was used.

David J.