Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Daniel J. Summers
<daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bryan Keith wrote:
>>
>> I can run 8.3 and see the dbs (the default ones only; not mine) with psql.
>>

> I ran into this on an upgrade - however, I didn't do what I'm about to
> describe, and I lost all my data. Luckily, it wasn't the only place where it
> was, but there was some development stuff that I had to reaccomplish. Once I
> had lost it, I discovered the command below...
>
> The command you're looking for is pg_upgradecluster. There's a description
> of it at
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/pg_upgradecluster.8.html . I
> believe the only time you'll need this is if you change the major or minor
> version - for 8.3.5 to 8.3.6, for example, I believe there's no upgrade
> required.

You're absolutely right.  FYI, pg has a different numbering system
where the first two digits are pretty much both major numbers.  8.4
and 8.3 are two distinct major versions, and are not binary on disc
compatible etc.   That means that 8.2 and 8.1 were as different as 8.0
and 7.4 in terms of things like file formatting and catalogues

And pg_upgradescluster is a great little bit of code.  I wish RedHat
had such things. (If they do someone please tell me.)