initdb

I just tried initdb with the -A pam option and no -W.  As expected, I can't log into the instance.  There is  a MD5 hash and postgres still defaults to password authentication even though I did not use the -W.  Is this a bug?    And I can't log into it because I have no idea what password it used.  Even if I did, it's not set up how I want it to be.  I want to log in with PAM.

In our company, behind the scenes pam uses openldap.  It works fine adding a user with out a password still works fine.  It's the postgres user that I'm concerned with.  The way it is now if we change the postgres password in openldap we'd be at a loss connecting since it's using MD5.

One thing I was thinking of is using a different username for the super user like -U Tom for the initdb.  Then, just adding the user postgres later via my method I know works.  We add the user, just not specifiying a password.  When we log in with that user the defaul goes to ldap and we can easily log in.

Maybe things have changed with version 8.3x and there is something else I should do to specifically configure ldap instead of pam.  I did notice ldap in the pg_hba as an alternative method and don't remember that as a specific method before, just pam.

Thanks,
~DjK

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.