Re: access data in php

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Marc Fromm wrote:

If I gather the sql results with this code
$results = pg_query($dbconn,$query);

I can check if there is no returned data with this code
$rows = pg_fetch_assoc($result);

but if I then use a while loop to display data (if there is data returned) with this code
while ($row = pg_fetch_array($result)){ . . . }

I have to execute this code a second time before the while loop
$results = pg_query($dbconn,$query);

If I do not execute the $results line a second time the while loop does not work properly.

Why is $results loosing its value when it hits the while loop?

Thanks

Marc

pg_fetch_assoc behave like pg_fetch_array: it increments the internal pointer to the current result. So if you call it once, then pg_fetch_array will return the 2nd result in the result set.

You can either :
- use pg_fetch_assoc($result,0) whish shouldn't increment the internal pointer (no sure though, check http://php.net/pg-fetch-assoc) - seek back to the first result in the result set using pg-result-seek (http://php.net/pg-result-seek)
- use pg_num_rows to get the number of rows in your result set.

Happy new year !
--
Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais