Migration \ OID question

Have a question concerning how OID's are generated and assigned to tables in postgres.

The application I inherited relies upon the oid's for primary keys.

I am currently in process of migrating our current Postgres Database from one server [Postgres version 7.2] to another server [version 8.1.9]

PostgreSQL software was installed off the Linux 5 enterprise CD by our server team.

I have been able to perform and pgdump -o of the 7.2 database and restore to the 8.1.9 server without any errors.

However, I have noticed that the oids being generated and assigned when adding new records appear to have restarted from 17901. The current oid assigned from version 7.2 was 203199999.

The question is, after reloading the 7.2 version into the 8.19 version, should the migrated database be starting with the 203199999 as last oid and then assign 203200000 as the next oid?

What it is appears to be doing is restarting from beginning.

What I am concerned about is when the 8.1.9 version assigns an oid that already exists.

Any help on why this is happening would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph Lipker
Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company - IT Department
EC3-3C8
Federal Way, WA 98063-9777
Office: 253-924-5994
Cell: 253-249-6819