Re: sequence owned by backwards compatability

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Wouter Pels wrote:
>
>> We were running into problems today when we tried to import a 8.2.4 dump
>> in a 8.1.5 database. It had to do with the new way of assigning
>> sequences to colums, which confused 8.1.5 I didn't expect that at the
>> time of configuration, and currently is down-grading to 8.1.x not an
>> easy option anymore.
>>
>> Is there any trick to work arround this issue ? some kind of switch for
>> backwards compatability ?
>

> No switch but you could restore the schema separately from the data.
> Then you could edit the schema to fit 8.1 commands before restore.

Don't like the idea of manualy editing the schema, seems like a waste of
time, specialy knowing that the situation will pop up more then once

I guess a data only restore will work on existing 8.1.x  databases, but
then there is the hassle of truncating tables and disabling/enabling
triggers and all the the other yet unknown trouble.

> Out of curiosity.. why are you doing this? :)

We are working with multiple configurations from 8.0.x to 8.2.x, its
imposible to upgrade them all at the same time.
Dump and restore of the complete database ..was.. allways the easiest
way to get all data across.

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate