bgwriter update question

I'm running on 7.4.5 (pre bgwriter) and moving to 8.2 in 3 weeks. I turn fsync off on my testing server. When I update a table I expect the file in the base directory to remain the same size until the next syncpoint when it would then update. But it increases immediately. I thought updates remain in memory until syncpoint in pre-8.0. Am I missing somethng?

Thanks for your time

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenue™
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.