From: Anibal David Acosta [mailto:aa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 22 October 2007 15:33
To: Phillip Smith
Subject: Re: Please help (backup)

I open with word pad & notepad, but table, functions and other object declarations looks like "plain text" but the DATA nope.

This is the beginnig of something that looks as DB object
ALTER TABLE ONLY threads
    ADD CONSTRAINT threads_fk1 FOREIGN KEY (forum_id) REFERENCES forums(id) ON DELETE RESTRICT;
 =   ALTER TABLE ONLY public.threads DROP CONSTRAINT threads_fk1;
       public       postgres    false

   1488
   1869
   1464

This is the beginnig of something that looks as DB object

 xœeYÝzÚ¸½Þ}
Ï͹˜ïk¶1†»!
¤¤$á MÛ3gÊ'Œ Ùbd;=É74Wç]æQæ
Î’Im·?!^–-ikk­µE—†CæjgJš½‰ÜÕ…È•VÂÒÅ›Ð]_ÊBZ

BTW, I used the "PGAdmin" application to make the backup, I don't have any BLOB column, just normal data type (integer, varchar, datetime)

As you can see, the "data" section is not human readable, so I cant  modify it.

Thanks for your time Phillip, I hope  to find a solution.

regards.

Anibal

Phillip Smith escribió:

The dumped file is just a plain-text file (Depending on the data types
within your database)

You should be able to open the backup you made with pg_dump in your
favourite editor such as vi and search through for the dodgy data. Clear out
the bad stuff, write it back to disk and you should be good to go.

Obviously this won't "save" the damaged portion of the data, and it may have
unpredictable effects when you take in to account any foreign keys etc you
may have in the database that depends on this data.

Cheers,
~p