Re: persistent 'psql: FATAL: "listen_addresses" cannot be changed after server start

David Rovner wrote:

>> After some network configuration changes (IP changes and some editing
>> config files which may have been interrupted buy shutdowns), I cannot
>> get past this error:

>That's a bit vague. What changed externally with your network? What
>files were you changing and what were you changing in them? What do you
>mean by "may have been interrupted buy shutdowns" - were the changes
>made or not? Did you restart the server and was it a full reboot or
just
>postgresql?

The IP, the subnet, and nameserver address changed. The admin (not
responsible for postgres) doing the changes has left the company (3 days
ago). I am testing postgres for use in a slony replication scheme. The
postgresql.conf and the pg_hba.conf files were being modified (this may
be irrelevant, I don't know). I have done restarts on postgres, and
complete shutdown. No change. I have renamed the db directory (this is a
test database) in order to force an initdb. And still no change.

>> 'psql: FATAL: "listen_addresses" cannot be changed after server start

>Where do you see this error? The statement is true - listen addresses
is
>a parameter that can only be set when the PostgreSQL server starts.
>Trying to change the parameter from, say, psql by running
>"set listen_addresses to '*';" will yield this error. Could there be a
>script that generates such a command?

I cannot execute any psql commands from root.
I see this error at the command prompt in root executing anything that
starts with "psql". The argument list does not matter. "psql" with no
arguments returns this error as well.

>Cheers,
>Steve

Dave