Re: pam/winbind user not found problem

On Thursday 16 July 2009 01:20:01 am Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 July 2009 19:01:19 Gary Greene wrote:
> > You haven't got nscd running have you? If you do, turn it off. It causes
> > weird auth issues with Winbind.
>
> In large environments you don't want to disable nscd. However on new
> systems winbind should work just fine with nscd. I know large environments
> where it works like a charm.
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	-- andreas

NSCD conflicts with Winbind's own caching and will cause you not to be able to
authenticate randomly/odd credential dropping/etc, even with new releases of
Samba and GLibC.

Here's the documentation directly from the Samba project:

The name service caching daemon (nscd) is a primary cause of difficulties with
name resolution, particularly where winbind is used. Winbind does its own
caching, thus nscd causes double caching which can lead to peculiar problems
during debugging. As a rule, it is a good idea to turn off the name service
caching daemon.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net