[p2patent-developer] Using Triple Stores for Prior Art References and Metadata

On 11/28/06, Zack Rosen <zack at chapterthreellc.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2006, at 8:27 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > Ah, that is good to hear- the one other question I had, but forgot to
> > ask, was 'are other projects using any of these in production?' The
> > triple stores seem like neat technology, but when I was a project
> > manager, neat technology only won out if it was also neat technology
> > with a large and dynamic community of users. That sort of thing tends
> > to ensure that the technology stays focused, maintained, and useful,
> > instead of wandering off. If others are using any of the triple store
> > techs (like Mulgara), that should be a large factor in choosing that
> > particular tech.
>
> I am very pessimistic about the real world applicability of RDF
> stores in todays content management systems.
>
> I've written pretty extensively on this subject here:
>
> http://zacker.org/semantic-web-research-isnt-working
> http://zacker.org/the-battle-for-the-semantic-web-rdf-vs-xml

While I'm generally skeptical of the semantic web vision (certainly of
its current practicability),  the request isn't about presenting rdf
triples to the public, but rather using rdf as a backend to generate
real world data with. That's not what you're addressing with those
blog entries, so they really aren't relevant (AFAICS).

That said...

> The only case I know first hand that attempted to use triple store
> technology ended disastrously, the data-store technology was unusably
> slow and the project lost funding and was scrapped.

... *that* is a relevant data point. I'm in favor of going cutting
edge where appropriate, but given that this project will be so
experimental in so many other ways, very healthy skepticism  about
technology choices is appropriate. The more evidence about wide-scale
deployment, or at least very healthy and supportive communities, the
better.

Luis