Re: [OS:N:] bash intro for high school students?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:35:20AM -0700, Dan Koren wrote:

#1 - Brian and Dan - Please use bottom posting.
#2 - Outlook/MS email clients are broken, you can fix them
with these patches:

outlook express: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Outlook: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

> From: "Robert Citek" <rwcitek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > What book or other resource would people recommend for introducing
> > high school students to the bash shell?
> >
> > These are students that are familiar with the pointy-clicky Windows
> > environment, and they've picked up KDE using Knoppix pretty quickly.
> > But KDE can be awkward at times and some things have to be done
> > within a bash shell.  I personally like the O'Reilly book "Learning
> > the bash Shell," but perhaps that's a bit much to chew on for an
>
> It would be nice to understand the reasons why one would
> prefer bash to other shells, in particular with respect with
> introducing high school students to computers.
>
> Why bash rather than ksh or perl?

Perl is not a shell.

Perl (while wonderful) is not designed to be used interactively.
You need one of the command shells for that.  One can try to use
Perl as a shell, but it quickly becomes apparent that the need to have
everything be a complete program is much more awkward than the
"command line" mode of the shells

Why bash vs other shells?

ksh (which was my favorite in years past) is not available on all
Linux or UNIX platforms.  Since it is not compatible with bash or sh
(which are available on all Linux/UNIX platforms, a ksh user when
suddenly finding themselves in one of those no-ksh environments will
find that many of their scripts are broken and no longer work, or,
worse, the script don't break but now behave differently in subtle
ways that cause significantly different functionality.

It is much wiser, and you are giving up very little to stick with bash
or sh.  (although I do miss "typeset -Z30" )

> IMHO the best vehicle for introducing high school (or
> any other) students to computing is APL ;-)

Ah, yes - the original read-only language. ;-)
Now we use Perl for read-only ;-)

> > intro, or not.  Has anyone else introduced high school students to bash?
Tons.