Re: [OS:N:] newbie

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:36:12AM -0400, Will Hatch wrote:

> I am a 7-12th grade teacher at a small alternative school in Vermont USA.
<snip>

> I am interested in the k12 linux project.  My problem is that i'm handy
> with computers, but basically self-taught.  Removing hard-drives and
> setting up a server scares me.  Where do I start?  Can anyone help???
> Thanks!

First off, make sure you're familiar with the numerous Linux-in-education
projects out there, if you aren't already.

Check out sites like:

  http://schoolforge.net/
  http://seul.org/edu/
  http://www.k12ltsp.org/

Secondly, you may be able to enlist help from local gurus (or people willing
to learn :^) ).  There apparently used to be a Linux Users Group in Vermont
called "slug-vt" (Small Linux Users Group of Vermont), but their site seems
to have vanished.

An extremely quick Google search came up with these folks, though:

  VAGUE - Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts

    http://www.uvm.org/vague/

Depending on where in Vermont you are, there may be other LUGs or Unix UGs
close-by, with people who can help out.

See GLUE listings for the US:

  http://www.ssc.com:8080/glue/groups/us

Good luck!!!

-bill!
bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              C is like an industrial strength
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       nail gun; if wielded improperly,
New Breed Software                       it can cause untold carnage.