Re: [OS:N:] Exchange Server?

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 09:30, Patrick Cable II wrote:
> Hi list -
>
>   My school district wants to set up exchange server... this scares me.
> Our current email system runs on qMail and such.
>   What is there for alternatives?

What about phpGroupware?  There are no restrictions on which operating
systems it will run on (since all it needs is on the client side is a
web browser).  And I think that it provides all of the same features as
Exchange, if not more.

Another thing to ask them is WHY they want to set up an Exchange
server.  While it may (theoretically) provide a lot of features that
qmail does not, would they actually use them?  I don't think that my
school would.

>   The superintendant is dead set on using outlook and sharing calendars.
> He will not have it any other way. Whatever he uses also must sync with
> his palm pilot

I'm not sure if phpGroupware can sync with a Palm, but I know that
Ximian Evolution can.  I sync my Palm m500 with Evolution all the time.
Of course, Evolution does not (yet) run on Windows, and I don't know of
any Exchange-like server software that it can talk to (although it can
talk to Exchange, but that's not what you want).

Maybe you could quietly set up the superintendent with Evolution and see
if he can tell that it ISN'T Outlook...

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>