[OS:N:] Re: [yhslug] Microsoft's Linux Survey makes the news

I'm forwarding my response to a Yorktown High School LUG posting:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:25:59AM -0500, relph@ibiblio.org wrote:
> I'm not sure if you guys saw this on Slashdot over the weekend or not, but
> check it out:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/21/1655257&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=109&tid=185&tid=187

As at least a couple of Slashdot users have said, I'm suspicious of
their motives.  In particular the question on the survey regarding
"improvements you'd like to see in Linux".  While there certainly are
some, I see answering that question as just giving Microsoft
ammunition for further FUD.  (And since we now have a wolf in the
fold, I decided not to send this to the entire YHSLUG list.)  They
don't need a survey.  All they need to do is LOOK AROUND THEM.
There's no secret to why Linux users prefer Linux.  (Heck, Microsoft
could ask their own in-house developers and probably get a good
answer.)
--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Gallaudet University          |     WWW: http://gri.gallaudet.edu/~kjcole/