Re: [OS:N:] OSN - what are the best desktop systems for educational use?

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:25, Access Systems wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 charles.macdonald@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:
>
> > I heard a quote the other day that indicated that someone from redhat did not think that his product was the best desktop for consumer use, I am wondering where it (and the fedora system which is apparently to be the successor)  would fit in in an educational setting.
>
> well the company I work for has RH 9 on all the desktops, we used
> Wordperfect until they stopped supporting Linux and have changed to Open
> Office suite....  took some getting used to and there was some weeping and
> wailing but doubt anyone would change back,  also we have profit sharing
> so we all like to help the bottom line...haven't had a M$ product here in
> 3 years now.

Bob brings up the very point of confusion I think the article turns on.
The quote treats "desktop" as a single user, entertainment and mild
productivity OS, and would consider this a workstation deployment, an
awful lot of people treat them interchangeably, or use one to refer to
the software and GUI environment and th other to the hardware it may run
on.

--jeremy