Re: [OS:N:] Redhat, ACPI & HP Paviliion ze 5400

Frederic:

Couple of thoughts:

1.  Just to see how well your notebook will work with Linux download
Knoppix and see if the PCMCIA card works and everything else works.

2.  You will get better help with this type of problem on a mailing list
that has a more diverse audience.  I would recommend:
focused on Audio primarily but have used an ACPI kernel with RH9 for
some time.

3.  There will not be a RH10.  RHL is now Fedora.  Fedora is on beta3.
I think it is stalled while they work out some bugs but the full release
is due out early November.  It works well on my Dell notebook with my
Cisco wireless card.

Some of the most popular (lowest cost) wireless cards have little or no
driver support.  Cisco has about the best.

-Chris

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 07:22, Frederic Dernbach wrote:
> I'm trying to have the ACPI patch compiled with a RH kernel.
>
> I've tried to compile a baseline 2.4.22 kernel with appropriate ACPI
> patch. It does not compile correctly.
>
> I've tried to compile a baseline 2.4.20 kernel with appropriate ACPI
> patch. It compiles but my system hangs at boot time (HP Pavillion ze
> 5400).
>
> I collected kernel sources from www.kernel.org and ACPI patch from
> http://acpi.sourceforge.net/index.html.
>
> A/ I would like to know if somebody actually succeeded in compiling and
> using  a ACPI-patched linux kernel with a RH distro. If yes, where
> exactly did you get the kernel sources and the ACPI patch (file names
> would be appreciated).
>
> B/ I would like to know if somebody put at work an HP Pavillion (ze
> 5400) with a standard RH distro, keudzu and pcmcia working. I manged to
> have RH 9.0 working, but pcmcia and kudzu services not started.
> Therefore, I cannot plug a Wireless pcmcia card...
>
> C/ Will RH 10 offer better labtop support ?
>
> I would hate going back to Windows but I may be constraint to do so ....

"Why, of course, the people don't want war... Voice or no voice, the
people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders... All you
have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the
pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It
works the same in any country." - Nazi Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg
war-crimes tribunal