Re: [OS:N:] Open office community classes

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:59:50PM -0500, Chris Spencer wrote:
> Keep the picture of grandmas and grandpas in your head.
>
> I don't think I could push Linux to them yet.  First I need to get the
> seed in there.  Then I can plug Linux a bit more.
>
> It's a baby step world out there.  We have to overcome the monopolies
> hold on their own turf...before people will accept that maybe the grass
> really is greener on the other side!

The nice thing about Linux is it's so customizable, that you can set up
what turns out to practically be a kiosk/public access terminal,
except it's used in the home by less-than-technical people (grandma/grandpa).

There will be a little bit of work to set it up, but I think in the end,
it'll probably worth the initial hassle.  (...compared to having to come in
and fix a completely destroyed or virus-infected Windows system, for
example. ;^) )

Having seen what "Linux" itself can do (Sharp Zaurus PDA GUI,
KDE kiosk, TiVo PVR), it's hard to say that Linux _isn't_ easy to use,
unless you start getting specific.

But then most of the same arguments against Linux's ease-of-use could be
said for Windows.  (I've heard nothing but horror stories about trying
to install or reinstall Windows... and their DRM and licensing circus
apparently isn't making it any easier these days ;^) )

-bill!
(honestly, really liked Mac OS 7.5, for usability!)