Re: [OS:N:] filtering question

Regarding filtering philosophy and tools, we had a lively discussion on
this on the list back in September timeframe.  A sample:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/open-source-now-list/2002q3/001700.html

You can use the following link to look at the whole archives, and from
there you will see how the conversation went  - the threading was broken
a few times, so it appears to meander a bit.  Lots of ideas, solutions
and theories were discussed:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/open-source-now-list/2002q3/001700.html

- Karsten

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 14:48, Brandon Dorman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Students at my private university have created a petition to filter
> pornographic and other harmful internet sites.  Per school charter, if
> 66% of the student body  chooses to sign the petition, it will be sent
> to the Board of Directors for consideration and actually happen.  It is
> expected to pass.
> 	What open source tools would be useful in filtering out unwanted
> content?  What do you suggest we should do?  To completely block all
> crap out there is totally unattainable, but should we use a blacklist
> company?  That'd not too good, but supposedly if someone wants to
> research something like abortion or stuff relating to sex all you have
> to do is e-mail the company to have them unblock the site for you and it
> will happen.
> 	While I'm not in complete agreement with it, it looks like it may
> happen.  What should we do?  How can we block bad content yet retain
> freedom?  Is there a way?
> 	The merits of freedom on the internet are not the issue here.  The
> students brought up the issue, not the university.  Thanks.
>
> -Brandon

Karsten Wade    : Consulting Engineer, RHCE :  o: +1.831.466.9664
kwade@redhat.com :  http://www.redhat.com  :   c: +1.831.818.9995
    SMS Text Message Paging ::: karsten-page@karstenwade.com