Re: [OS:N:] Quick Survey

On 30 Sep 2002, Jeremy Hogan wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 08:06, John Adams wrote:
> > At 10:42 AM 9/29/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >Redhat (if some of you have forgotten) sponsored this
> > >mail list
> >
> > The point is that advocacy needs to be separated from commercial activity.

as someone who has had to do a lot of statistical work I understand the
value of survey's so tend to always respond to a "real" survey as opposed
to marketing or harvesting

I responded to this survey as it appeared to be a "real" survey

> In the case of OSS companies, we can't fully separate the advocacy from
> commercial activity. Every day we are out there justifying OSS in and of
> itself, just as much, if not more than the merits of our product line.

as someone who runs Red Hat (currently 7.2) commercially in a business and
have some concerns about Red Hat and have no problem with answering this
type of survey, I would have answered a similar survey from Corel,
Caldera, Mandrake etc

this kind of survey is how a product gets better.

> That said, we do intentionally refrain from spamming this list with
> marketing info, in fact our marketing is 99.999% op-in. In this case I

thank goodness I get too much of that as it is

> wanted to know how a certain demographic felt about Red Hat as a brand.
> Not its products, not in an effort to sell anyone anything.

and as users it is a valid method to run a survey, you didn't post it
here, rather you posted a link to the survey (and by the way, I do 508
compliance testing amoung other things and the survey was one of the few
that I have run accross recently that was compliant.)

IMHO only
Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks