Re: [OS:N:] Open source in Education - with senior citizens

Removing Windows is definetly legal. What I would be more worried about is
whether you have the proper documentation to run Windows at all. Just because
they came to you with Windows loaded on them, doesn't mean that you have a
legal copy (or at least that you can prove it). If they are new enough there
will be a sticker attached to the computer with the OEM number. These are older
the license so it probably on a seperate card. Since you received these from an
institution they may have some other type of bulk license that didn't go with
the computers.

We ran into this with a donation from the Census Bureau. We received 20 laptops
with no OS. When I called my contact didn't have any idea where to direct me to
get the paperwork. We finally ended up installing Linux on them and running
them as thin clients using a wireless NIC.

Safest bet if you don't have any of these is to run something open source.

--
Jonathan Moore
Directory of Technology