Re: [Openh323-devel] Fax on SIP problem

Well, all I can say is while some people are talking about fax over SIP most
of us a getting on with the job and just DOING IT. This is not new to those
of us in the industry.

Now, as someone that has implemented both protocols, I am definitely NOT a
fan of SIP. I think it was a stupid move to throw out a working protocol
just because it was "not invented here". But to be fair, FAX (via T.38) woks
fine under SIP. Just as good as it ever did under H.323 and with all the
same issues.

And that last is the key points, it is the fundamental underlying
environment that causes the complexity, not the protocol. There is many a
moment when I would throw out BOTH H.323 and SIP and just start again. The y
both have many problems. But I know that even if we come up with a
completely new protocol it will still be hideously complicated because the
problem you are trying to solve is hideously complicated.

Oh, and OPAL was working with FAX over SIP last weeks and FAX over H.323 was
working years ago. No guarantees about this week though! :-)

Robert Jongbloed
OPAL/OpenH323 Architect and Co-founder.