Re: [Openh323-devel] [h323plus] [Opalvoip-devel] opalvoip vsh323plus

Hi All,

I've been a user of openh323/opal and on the mailings lists since very
early on when gnomemeeting was in the early 0.x releases and have
watched it all evolve, even contributing minor patches and testing on
ocasion.

There are a number of things that disurb me about this whole "we've
been orphaned" deal.

OPAL as it stands has been in development for years, it was
essentially openh323 version 2. Just like gnomemeeting was renamed to
ekiga to reflect the fact that it wasn't just aimed solely at gnome,
openh323's name was changed to reflect the fact that it didn't just
support h323, and as a result was essentially version 2. It was
advertised as such for years.

Simon there is certainly currently more development of the SIP side of
opal at the moment but I see that is the case for 2 reasons. firstly
the H323 support was very stable and established, and secondly the
people doing the H323 development was being done one openh323. The
OPAL H323 side of things wouldn't stagnate as long as there's
developers. And if you and everyone else were to develop on openh323
version 2 (OPAL) there wouldn't be missing features because you'd only
have to do the work once. And the only reason the H323 features would
stagnate is if the devs working on it and the maintainers of the H323
portion of the code (you and others) moved onto other things. That
would give everyone better features on all three protocols currently
supported... and any others that come along.

I'm sure if the opal project had remained named openh323 and called v2
with new apis when they added sip support and later renamed there
wouldn't be this disparate uncessary separation and code divergence
and H323 would get nice features like the latest codecs developed by
craig, robert and co and SIP would get some of the great features you
and others develop for openh323 with very little effort.

This community is too small for all the in fighting that I'm seen
between all the various developers over the years. Way more than a lot
of the other projects I follow,

Just my 0.02 cents.

Peter