Re: [Openh323-devel] Continuation of support of OpenH323

To all,

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Simon on his efforts
and wish him all the best with h323plus. His decision is the best kind
of opportunity that Open Source development provides, and I look forward
to ensuring that both projects can work together as much as possible.

Specifically, there is no reason why we should need to maintain two
separate PTLib libraries. We're going to keep PTLib as a separate
library - I'm hoping that h323plus will use the opalvoip version rather
than decide to maintain their own.

In any case, here's looking forward to a new era in Open Source VoIP!

    Craig

Simon Horne wrote:
> To all
>
> Many many programs use and rely on OpenH323 including GnuGk, Yate, Asterisk
> (h323_chan), OpenMCU, PacPhone etc and although some programs such as
> X-Meeting and Ekiga have migrated to Opal numerous others haven't. There has
> been some disquiet about the imminent orphaning of OpenH323 and subsequent
> dropping of support for these projects and I would like to put some of those
> fears to rest.
>
> As many of you are aware I am the last remaining active developer committed
> to continuing development of OpenH323. I have been developing over the last
> 10 months quietly on a seperate branch in the openH323 repository a large
> amount of code tidy up and the addition of numerous new features. This
> should really be released to the world.
>
> With the current difficulty in getting the project owners to provide even
> the most basic support like maintaining a mailing list (or even turning off
> the existing broken one) or allowing someone to maintain the openh323
> webpage without the most outrageous conditions. I have been left with no
> alternative but to move on.
>
> Some months ago I offered to take over support for openH323 as part of my
> continuing develop of pacphone and my support within GnuGk and I intend to
> honor that however it has become quite untenable under the current
> circumstances.
>
> With the full support of Packetizer who have offered to supply protocol
> expertise, webspace, mailinglist ect and to further development of projects
> such as GnuGk (and a few others) who rely on OpenH323, I have taken the
> opportunity to spin my work on the openh323_plugins branch in the CVS and
> start a new project called h323plus hosted on SF. Several other programmers
> have offered to maintain the project so by no means is it going to be a one
> man effort.
>
> The website www.h323plus.org is currently under construction.
> Most of the code is in the CVS and we hope to have a release out in the
> coming weeks.
>
> New Mailing List is up and you are encouraged to join.
>

> The following projects are currently planned to be supported within
> H323plus.
> OpenMCU (including remote conference controls)
> OpenAM  (upgraded to support VoiceMail support to GnuGk)
> MyPhone
> OhPhone
>
> The Library is almost drop-in replacable with the existing OpenH323 and
> contains numerous enhancements including video plugins (compatible with
> Opal) and large amount of new work not currently supported in Opal.
>
> Some of the new work now available in h323plus
> H.230  Conference Controls (incl tunneling GCC (T.124))
> H.239  Application Sharing
> H.249  Extended user inputs
> H.341  SNMP support
> H.350  LDAP WhitePages
> H.460  Numerous custom Extensibility features
>         Text Messaging (working doc ITU),
> [...]

  Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
  craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   www.postincrement.com.au

  Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
  Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs@xxxxxxxxxx

  "Science is the poetry of reality." Richard Dawkins