Re: [Openh323-devel] pwlib compile error

Josh Mahonin wrote:
> GT wrote:
>> If one CVS committer feels THAT LAZY, I suggest that he/she creates a separate
>> branch different from HEAD, and clearly marks it as experimental.
>>
> I think an experimental branch would be a nice addition to CVS.  I"ve
> been hit by buggy CVS commits a couple times myself - granted they were
> fixed very soon after - it would be convenient to have mostly up-to-date
> versions with a high confidence of compilation.
>
> Maybe add the experimental tree for new patches, and a 'head' tree
> that's about a week behind to allow bleeding edge changes a chance to be
> tested by the community.  It's not feasible for a single developer to
> regression test every change across a variety of platforms, especially
> with a library as dynamic as Opal.
>
> I suppose the counter-point would be that you can just check a revision
> a week behind head, but I would suggest that having the week difference
> between the 'experimental' and 'head' tree allows developers the choice
> between checking out a pretty new version with a high chance of working
> for them, as well being able to grab the bleeding edge with the caveat
> that it might not compile on their platform.

Some points:

1) We already have a stable branch for OPAL (Phobos) that is being
actively maintained with backports from CVS head and is used by the
general Ekiga community. If you want stable code, then use that branch.

2) The CVS head has always been the development branch. It's true that
code may sometimes not compile on all platforms, but if not, then it is
usually fixed pretty quickly.

3) The latest problem with DWORD can't be very widespread. I've not seen
it on Linux 32 bit, Linux 64 bit, MacOSX, or Windows (all platforms I
compile OPAL on regularly) so I'm pretty mystified where it came from
and what makes it happen

    Craig

  Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
  craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   www.postincrement.com.au

  Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
  Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs@xxxxxxxxxx

  "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
   Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting