As of today:

Title: As of today:

Americans across the country have new health insurance that starts today, thanks to the Affordable Care Act.

Today, health reform is real in a new way for people like Daniel, a 22-year-old student who enrolled in a gold-level insurance plan and is paying just $70 a month after subsidies. It's real for Lucy, from Texas, whose deductible is dropping from $7,500 to $3,000 a year, and for Mark, a small business owner who says that keeping his health care costs down will help his consulting business thrive.

Today, these people are covered.

That means welcome packets and insurance cards in the mail. That means new appointments for check-ups are on the books. And it means the peace of mind, security, and dignity that comes with taking your health care into your own hands.

Making sure more Americans like Daniel, Lucy, and Mark can know that feeling in the weeks to come will take all of us speaking out.

So if this means something to you -- whether you have new coverage today or know someone who does -- we want to hear your story. Share it here.

With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, millions of young adults have been able to stay covered under their parents' plans. Tens of millions of Americans have gained access to free preventive services. More than a hundred million Americans no longer have lifetime limits on their coverage.

We've still got a lot more work to do. But after all the politics and rhetoric, we know the real bottom line:

Today, for the first time, many Americans for whom insurance wasn't previously a possibility can say that they are covered. And many folks who had insurance previously just saw their coverage improve: As of today, insurers can no longer cut off benefits when an individual reaches an annual cap. Insurers can no longer charge you more just because of a pre-existing condition or because you are a woman. And health plans sold to individuals or small businesses must offer comprehensive benefits, including things like mental health services and maternity care that plans used to sometimes exclude.

That's what the President has been fighting for, and why this law is so important.

Whether you've got new coverage today, know someone who does, or simply want to help get the word out about the importance of getting covered, we want to hear from you. Share your story here.

Thanks -- and Happy New Year,

David

David Simas
Deputy Senior Advisor
The White House
@Simas44

Visit WhiteHouse.gov

The White House • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW • Washington, DC 20500 • 202-456-1111