NTSB highlights international aviation safety

                      NTSB PRESS RELEASE

National Transportation Safety Board

Washington, DC 20594

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 12, 2011

NTSB highlights international aviation safety

WASHINGTON - Today, the National Transportation Safety Board

(NTSB) outlined the agency’s role and participation in

international aviation safety investigations; a lesser known

role for the agency.

“Aviation safety knows no borders - and there are no

boundaries to what we can achieve when we work together,”

said NTSB Chairman Deborah A. P. Hersman. “The NTSB works

closely with our international counterparts to provide

technical expertise in foreign aviation accident

investigations and similarly, we have benefitted from their

participation in our investigations.”

During the Board meeting, NTSB Board members and staff

discussed the U.S. obligations under the International Civil

Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) Annex 13.  Annex 13 provides

the international protocols for the investigation of

aircraft accidents and incidents.  The meeting also

highlighted specific examples of international

investigations in which NTSB participation led to

improvements in aviation safety in the U.S. and abroad.

Facts about international aviation accident investigations:

·         In the last ten years NTSB investigators have provided

support to about 1,900 foreign investigations;

·         A third of the recorders processed by the NTSB are

from foreign accidents; and

·         The NTSB has issued more than 320 safety

recommendations stemming from findings developed

through participation in international investigations

with twelve of these issued in 2011.

Contact:  NTSB Public Affairs

Keith Holloway

hollowk@xxxxxxxx

(202) 314-6100

# NTSB #

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent federal agency charged with

determining the probable cause of transportation accidents and promoting transportation safety,

and assisting victims of transportation accidents and their families.

For more information, visit:  www.NTSB.gov.

This message is delivered to you as a free service from the

National Transportation Safety Board.

You may unsubscribe at any time at

http://www.ntsb.gov/registration/registration.htm

An archive of press releases is available at

http://www.ntsb.gov/pressrel/pressrel.htm

Current job opportunities with the NTSB are listed at

http://www.ntsb.gov/vacancies/listing.htm

For questions/problems, contact pubinq@xxxxxxxx

[FAA]     [STB]     [USDA]     [Photography]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [Railroad]     [FDA News]

Add to Google