editing and building ./drivers/pci/iov.c

I am trying to trace a bug I have with some hardware and I am putting printk() statements in iov.c

Every time I make a change to the source file, I am building the entire linux kernel, ie ‘make’ from top directory.

While it is not complex, it is time consuming, it takes several minutes to go through all of the dependencies and link all of the modules together.

I spend a lot of time waiting.

Am I doing this correctly or is there a short cut to do either of the following;

1)      Compile only iov.c to find coding syntax errors

a.       I tried running ‘make’ in the ./drivers/pci directory but it told me that there were no targets.

2)      Do the final build.

a.       Do I have to build the entire linux kernel or can I somehow insert/replace the pci driver into an existing image.

Thanks,

Kelly