RE: Can request_firmware be called from a platform_driver ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Hylands [mailto:dhylands@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:07 PM
To: Holmes, Michael A (Mike)
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can request_firmware be called from a platform_driver ?

HI Mike,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Holmes, Michael A (Mike)
<Mike.Holmes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

As far as init being called, this is identical for modules compiled as
part of the kernel as it is for modules compiled out of tree.

Normally, you would use module_init to specify a function to be
called. This function will be called when a module is loaded
(regardless of whether its compiled in or out of tree).

For modules statically compiled into the kernel, module_init becomes
the same as device_initcall.

For code compiled as a module, all of the various xxx_initcall stuff
gets translated to module_init
See: include/linux/init.h

Thanks, my module does use module_init, but now that this code is compiled as a module and not compiled into the kernel, I find that the .probe method is never called so I must still be missing something.

I tried calling the probe directly in the init but this still fails with modprobe complaining.

Should my .probe be called if my init only calls platform_driver_register and this module is loaded with modprobe rather than by the kernel booting?
And really I only want to call the probe method so that I can get hold of a struct platform_device *pdev to call firmware_request() with, maybe I am going about this completely incorrectly?

I see at this link http://lwn.net/Articles/198461/  they do not use a platform_driver_register but a device_register, is that my mistake ?

Still struggling, but I am now using the shotgun programming approach of trying anything I can dream up to figure it out :-)

Mike