Translate keysyms to ASCII

Hello people,

I working on a small proof of concept keylogger that works on kernel mode. It's parte of my studies of kernel development.
I'm using the struct "keyboard_notifier_param" to get the keys pressed on the keyboard(s) attached to the system.

At the end, I print the value, like this:

printk(KERN_DEBUG "KEY== %i", param->value);

According to the definition of the struct "keyboard_notifier_param" at http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/linux/keyboard.h#L37, the field value is a  "keycode, unicode value or keysym".

For example, when I press the key a, I get the value 30, but I would like tranlate it to the ASCII. I managed to create a translation table by myself, but I think there is another way more stylish to do this, or not? I googled a lot but could not find a consistent answer.

Any help is appreciated,

Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Duarte