Re: Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Hi again :)

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi ! :)
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 05:11, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For anyone still following this thread, I just had another thought as to
>> what may be the problem (although I have not tried it yet) - SDRAM timing.
>
> that CAS (latency) timing, right?

Yes (plus a few others - there are a lot of timings for DDR3 SDRAM)

>> I am using Strontium DIMMs (hynix chips) which typically have 'lower'
>> spec'd timings. Now the BIOS should pick up the correct timings by reading
>> the DIMM's SPD data so the chance the timings are 'wrong' is probably
>> pretty low, but I'll check. I may even wind the timing down _lower_ than
>> the SDRAM is spec'd at (can't hurt)
>
> you need something that shall hammer memory.... repetitive kernel
> compilation with "make allyesconfig" perhaps?

in bash:

while true
do
make clean; make
done

:)

>> I'll be a bit peeved if that turns out to be it now that I've forked out
>> another $100 odd for a new MB :(
>
> like old saying "no pain no gain"? :) But really, you get my
> salute.... who knows it will end up with excellent suggestion toward
> memory subsystem in Linux virtual memory?

Well it still failed (thankfully) and my new Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 just arrived
so I can test it out over the weekend :)

Regards,

Graeme