Re: Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Hi Mulyadi,

On 01/31/2012 04:49 PM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:52, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So RAM modules not the problem, that leaves CPU, Motherboard and PSU...
>>
>> So I switched out the PSU - Fail (really quickly this time... interesting)
>>
>> So that's when I decided to look at the SDRAM voltage - I looked up the
>> datasheet for the RAM and compared it to the BIOS setting... Hmm, right
>> at the upper limit of the spec'd DIMM voltage, so I set it to 1.5V
>> manually.
>>
>> Since then it has not skipped a beat (only been ~18 hours, but that's way
>> longer than previously)
>
> A very well done trouble shooting! you're lucky that during the

Thanks :)

> process, your memory module isn't burn out (voltage overload could do
> that sometimes AFAIK).

Hmm, the MB voltage was just at the upper limit of the operational voltage
- I think the max. rated voltage goes a little higher although there are
two voltages that must be kept at correct levels relative to each other
(one must always remain less than or equal to the other)

> lately many issues surface which tend to has something to do with
> hardware, for example the excessive power consumption (ASPM). Sensors
> are all we need. Linux could already fetch numbers from SMART, cpu
> sensors etc. Maybe we need memory voltage sensors too? :)

Yes, I would love to get all the on-board and on-die sensors working
(temperatures, voltages, fan speeds). This is going to be an 'always on'
media server which will also operate as a part-time dev machine. I would
love to do complete system status logging. Any idea how I could find out
what the correct kernel options I need to do so?

Regards,

Graeme

P.S. 24+ hours :)