Re: Learning Linux Kernel

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Alexandru Juncu <alex.juncu@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
>> <kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have been working on Linux OS for the last 10 years and it has been
>> > very
>> > exiting and challenging to learn new technologies based on Linux. I am
>> > basically a Sys Admin for Linux with bash programming and configuring
>> > and
>> > setting up Linux Server including network services like BIND DNS,Apache
>> > etc...
>> >
>> > Although i do not know C and ASM Language, I am very much eager to start
>> > learning Linux Kernel Code and contribute to linux kernel codebase
>> > sometimes
>> > down the line.
>> > Please guide/suggest me.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I think people appreciate your enthusiasm. I do think that knowing C
>> programming is a prerequisite. So you need to start with that.
>> For the theory, if you want to start learning how the kernel works, I
>> recommend the book Linux Kernel Development [1] by Robert Love.
>> Another thing I would give you is this video [2] to know how to submit
>> your first patch.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Development-Robert-Love/dp/0672329468/ref=pd_sim_b_3
>> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4
>

> Hi
>
> Just curious to know about total number of linux kernel developers in the
> world who contribute to linux kernel codebase. Any wiki or webpage which
> mentions about it?
>
> Regards

These are a statistics page, not sure how accurate it is though:
http://www.remword.com/kps_result/

I think that the best place to look at this are the annual reports of
the Linux foundation:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/sites/main/files/lf_linux_kernel_development_2010.pdf

Best regards,

--