Re: netfilter performance dependent on arch

On 02/07/2012 09:34 AM, Marek Kierdelewicz wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone point me to some performance comparison of netfilter on i686
and x86_64? I have a few linux routers doing a lot of firewalling and
QoS. Currently those routers use i686 arch on 64-bit hardware. Would I
notice any performance gain after moving to 64-bit kernel?

Apart from the obvious "Try it on your workload and see." suggestion, you could I suppose make the assumption that a netfilter workload looks similar to one or more components of something like SPECint_rate_base2006 or SPECint_base2006 and mine the results on www.spec.org for some comparisons between 32 and 64 bit compiles on the same chip(s). Probably want something with lots of control flow (term?) rather than loops and such. A high-level description of the integer components can be found at http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/CINT2006/ . One of my first guesses would be 400.perlbench and 403.gcc but definitely peruse the descriptions of all of them.

rick jones