RE: Restrict LAN users to send mail to Internet but allow to send mail to other LAN user.

True...  Sometimes I should read it twice... :)

Gary

________________________________

From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Aleksandar Milivojevic
Sent: Wed 10/27/2004 12:16 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Restrict LAN users to send mail to Internet but allow to send mail to other LAN user.

Gary Smith wrote:
> You would still need netfilter to prevent other users from using the internet as a back door.  For example, financial firms must log all incoming and outgoing smtp traffic.  To accomplish this you need to ensure that your users cannot access external SMTP servers otherwise they could sent out unlogged messages.  We have done this in the past for a few companies.  This forces the user to use the sendmail server for their email.  I think this is the goal of the requester.

Which is exactly what my first sentence said: "I will assume that LAN
users are allowed to connect to mail server only, and not to outside
world".  BTW, this is something that should be done by default.
Financial firm or not.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited