kernel-2.6: ipsec without devices

Hello list,

Anyone an explanation (or a link to an explanation) why the IPSEC
implementation in kernel-2.6 doesn't use devices like "ipsec0"? I
searched google, but I can't find anything on this subject. For tunnels
between Linux-boxes I can use OpenVPN of course, but for all other
connections I only can use the kernel-IPSEC. And I prefer not to use
FreeSWAN.

I really miss these devices. E.g.: I can't do a tcpdump on the tunnel to
see what's happening there, nor can I do some shaping *in* the tunnel.

Or have I missed something crucial?

Richard.

Recursion: see recursion

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |
| Public key and email address:                                    |
| http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html                         |