RE: icq

> what do I need to do to allow ICQ to work through my firewall

(Other answers already given..)

Not sure about recent versions, but with old versions you could only do
simple things like messaging when using NAT only.
If you wanted to do things like chat and/or filetransfer, you needed a
socks server. I guess this still holds.
NEC had a free socks5 server for *nix once, but stopped providing it.
It's now Permeo's (www.permeo.com) but AFAIK not free any more. If you
need it ; there's a source version on rpmfind.net.

Gr,
Rob