Status of the patch

Dear All,

(1) Patch Status Identification.

Please tell me how to identify the patch status before
including it in the kernel.

I have come across so many status:

Works for me,
Working,
will not go into main kernel,
Experimental In Development,
Works,
Stable,
Under development,but works.

I want to use them in my firewall script, but before
that i want to know the actual status , whether its
reliable or still under observation.

(2) Pom Categories:
There are 3 different categories in pom:
patch-o-matic base repository
patch-o-matic extra repository
patch-o-matic pending repository

what is the significance of each of these categories ?

Thanks in Advance,
regards,
Rohit.