Blocking Streaming Media (Was: Re: (no subject)..)

I guess, blocking ports or defining ports to be allowed to users is not
enough. Users are clever and smart from day to day. Once the originial and
standard ports blocked by administrator, they use port forwarding sometimes
to some kind of hosting server or dedicated server, and they still able to do
music streaming.

If you checkout the greatest site, let say www.shoutcast.com, u can see lots
of stations use port 80, it means connecting to radio stations would be the
same as clients surfing to the web.

I'm still thinking patch-o-matic STRING would be the best solustion for now ..

Regards,
Rio Martin.

Perhaps you missed the rest of my post? I only pointed out the yahoo support
page as a starting point. I wouldn't attack this from a port point of view
becuase that method would be hit and miss. Find where the music comes from and
block the ranges it comes from. I stated examples of this with the Yahoo
LaunchCAST streaming protocol. I don't know the structure of your network so it
is hard for me to say how to find the culprits. I also used a packet sniffer on
my network to find where the service was originalting. Stopping shoutcast maybe
a bit more difficult... I'll look into that as well...

=====
In the absence of order there will be chaos.