Re: firewall without rules blocks packages

On Saturday 05 June 2004 2:19 pm, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Saturday 05 June 2004 2:06 pm, Joerg Bruenner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have configured iptables:
> >
> > Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> > Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> > Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> >
> > It should be wide open. But it is not:
> > If I ping from firewall-box to box A A replies the
> > expected way. If I ping from A to firewall A wont
> > get an answer. Firewall recives the ping packes I
> > verified.
> > I can play the same with ssh or telnet ...
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> Check the routing tables; check that services (ssh / telnet) are running;
> check that A is not blocking packets; check the netmasks on the interfaces.

Also check the nat and mangle tables to make sure there are no rules there
causing your strange behaviour.

Antony.

--
Bill Gates has personally assured the Spanish Academy that he will never allow
the upside-down question mark to disappear from Microsoft word-processing

 - Lynne Truss, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.