Re: How to change DNS with iptables rules ?

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:23, Mark Alzino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two DNS server : one at 10.0.0.254 and one at 192.168.10.254.
> I just want to dynamically change the DNS for a user (at 10.0.0.1 for
> example), but there is a time for the iptables rules to be activate.
> Here is more explanation.
>

> I use two DNS servers (bind 9), in the same host, with two interfaces. Each
> one ONLY listens on one interface (So, must not answer to a request related
> to an other one !).
>
> At the begining, the user has the 10.0.0.254 server. Then I add rules in
> order to change the DNS for 192.168.10.254.
> I use this the following rules :
> iptables -A PREROUTING -s 10.0.0.1 -d 10.0.0.254 -t nat -p UDP --dport 53 -j
> DNAT --to-destination 192.168.10.254
> iptables -A PREROUTING -s 10.0.0.1 -d 10.0.0.254 -t nat -p UDP --sport 53 -j
> DNAT --to-destination 192.168.10.254
>
> ** BUT **  : during a period (between 0 and 3 minutes), the user is ALWAYS
> CONNECTED TO the
> 10.0.0.254 server !!
> In others words, I always have what I should have, but I have to wait for a
> minute to have this...
>
> How it is possible ??
>

> - Are the rules rights ??
> - Is there really a time for the PREROUTING target to be activate (Is that
> it seem to be, but generally speaking rules are immediate...) ?
> - DNS (bind) listen at the begining only on one interface and listen on all
> interface if it recognize a user he has served ? (!!!)
> - Anyone has the answer ? :-)
<snip>
How are you determining which DNS the user is using? Is it by seeing
which address it uses for a previously used query? Could it be that the
client is caching a previous DNS response? If you put a protocol
analyzer on the wire, is the client actually making a DNS request when
you think it is or is it not putting a DNS packet on the wire at all, in
other words, using some cached information? Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer