bond failover doesn't happen when active slave link is up, but there is no connectivity

Greetings all,
We are using bonding interfaces in active-backup (1) mode, with "fail_over_mac" set to "active" (1), with miimon=100 and two slaves. The slaves are "either regular" network interfaces, or vlan interfaces created with "vconfig" over "regular" interfaces. One of the slaves is defined as primary. The purpose of this config is to ensure failover in case one of the interfaces dies. This config usually works as expected.

One scenario that doesn't work for us, is when link status of the active slave is up, but all the packets sent to it are dropped, e.g., because of incorrect switch configuration. In that case bond failover doesn't happen. Can this scenario be addressed with bonding?

Thanks,
Alex.

I found a discussion, which looks relevant, labeled "How to check an inactive slave in a bond?" in /lists/lartc/msg21434.html";. But this discussion considers the inactive slave, while in my case, I would like to better handle problems with the active slave.