Re: Should "N/A" dust bunnies be swept from fw_version?

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 15:27 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
> In the discussion on "enable virtio_net to return bus_info in ethtool -i
> consistent with emulated NICs" Ben Hutchings had the following feedback
> on what might go into bus_info:
>
> > Please use the existing 'not implemented' value, which is the empty
> > string.   If you think ethtool should print some helpful message instead
> > of an empty string, please submit a patch for ethtool.
>
> When I was sweeping in the .get_drvinfo routines, I noticed many drivers
> would return "N/A" for fw_version - presumably they were drivers for
> cards without firmware.  Should those be removed to have the fw_version
> be the empty string, or should those sleeping dust bunnies be allowed to
> lie?

I much prefer the empty string; the ethtool utility can turn that into a
user-friendly placeholder if it's considered confusing.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.