NASA Seeks Public's Input on Improving Digital Communications

Nov. 26, 2012

Allard Beutel
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2191
allard.beutel@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 12-407

NASA SEEKS PUBLIC'S INPUT ON IMPROVING DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS

WASHINGTON -- As its digital-communications team prepares for the next
redesign of NASA.gov, NASA is asking the public for thoughts on what
the agency should be doing on its website.

NASA has set up a forum on Ideascale to allow users to submit, comment
on and vote on ideas. Opened Nov. 19, the forum already has received
228 ideas from 970 users, who also have posted 269 comments and cast
nearly 7,000 up-or-down votes.

"The digital universe has changed significantly since we overhauled
www.NASA.gov in 2007," said David Weaver, NASA's associate
administrator for the Office of Communications. "Our focus now is to
better integrate our web and social media efforts, while continuing
to improve the site's overall look and feel and navigation
capabilities. We welcome the public's input on how best to do this."

NASA is among a few government agencies making the most effective use
of the Internet and social media to communicate directly with the
public. The landing of the Curiosity rover on Mars in August was the
biggest event in the history of the NASA website. There were more
than 15 million visits to the site during the event, and the peak of
1.2 million simultaneous webcast streams for the landing was more
than double the previous record.

On social media, NASA has 1.3 million Facebook likes, 3.1 million
Twitter followers and more than 280,000 people in its circle on
Google+. NASA's challenge now is to ensure its social media audience
knows it can find more information on the website, and make the web
audience aware there is a broader conversation going on via social
media.

Any new design features also need to recognize the public's adoption
of smart phones to access online content. Visits to the site via
mobile devices have increased tenfold from 2011 to 2012 and now
account for 10 percent of all site visits.

The NASA.gov discussion forum can be found at:

http://nasaweb.ideascale.com

For more information on NASA and its programs visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx